Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Apple Buns







OK, ok, I said that I'd make whatever was voted for. But we hit a snag - there was a tie! And after I found out that my grandparents wanted to come for a visit, I realized that the two tied options were not good options any longer - my grandparents have a more refined taste and are not fans of pie or gooey cookies.
So what to make? I wanted to stick with something along the lines of what was voted for, at least, so I decided to go with apples. I browsed my recipe books and decided on this tasty sounding crescent. A pretty simple idea really - dough, apples, cinnamon - nothing new here, right? But sometimes the most simple ingredients make the best desserts. This is a very rich dough, with eggs, sugar and butter, that rises up beautifully and rolls out easily. The apple filling is simple with just a bit of cinnamon and sugar and an ungodly amount of butter... but together, this was absoutely delicious. The cinnamon glaze on top and the pool of butter that ends up on the bottom are sinfully rich; this is not diet food. (So much for my diet!) This would be excellent at brunch any time of year, or during the winter for coffee or tea, just as we enjoyed it today.

It's a bit messy to make... I forgot to take a picture of the enourmous gooey mess on my counter after I cut the giant circle of apples-on-dough into pieces... but hey, that's all part of the fun. Oh yes, and this one is also from A Passion for Baking, which is quickly becoming my favorite book.

1 comment:

  1. so I have to comment about the wonderfully tasty buns that my very talented daughter made(of course we know where she got that lol..)and say thank you again they were veryyy good and enjoyed by all..so much effort too.greatly appreciated..thanks BINA love MOM

    ReplyDelete